One of the things I'm quickly learning as an instructional technologist is that teaching parents how to use technology you are using in the classroom eases their mind a bit and gives them a sense of understanding. In our elementary school we use QR codes quite a bit to help students easily access information, websites, and videos as part of their learning and sharing.
As I started thinking on this, I decided why not introduce parents to QR codes on the first day of school? Our teachers have sign up sheets outside their doors each year for our PTO to access for volunteers as well as the teachers themselves. What if instead of a pencil hanging there, there were QR codes that linked to a sign up on Sign Up Genius? I use the free version of Sign Up Genius and I love it because it is real time for whoever has the sign in credentials, it has pre-made templates to help in whatever type of sign up you are trying to do! Here is a how-to video on creating QR codes for yourself:
So here are a few things I think would be neat to use QR codes for school:
- Teacher introductions. Create a quick video of yourself with fun facts about you and post it outside your classroom door.
- Instructions. Busy teaching a small group in a rotation? Create a QR code for the other groups so the students can hear you giving them instructions for each rotation when they get there.
- Weekly updates. Create QR codes that are dynamic (can change to a new place) and do your weekly reminders and updates.
- Student sharing. Have students create QR codes to link to something they have created regarding their learning and post them outside in your hallway as a gallery of learning.
- At the front door. Create a QR code that tells visitors where they are and what the process is for entering and visiting at the school.
- At various places on campus. New cool building or football stadium? Create a QR code for telling others about the pride you have in these things and how it will be used for the betterment of your students. Both home team and visitors will be able to learn more about your school.
- Sports teams. Put a dynamic QR code on your school t-shirts that links to your roster and season stats.