Thursday, February 9, 2017

Rocketbook Wave Reusable Notebooks: Educational Purposes?


My friend Greg Bagby has been sharing his Rocketbook Wave reusable notebook with others and quite honestly it is mind-blowing. Yesterday I received mine in the mail and this short video is me using it for the first time:





So here are the questions I have for educators:

  • Do you see this being something that would have value if added to a supply list for students?
  • https://getrocketbook.com/products/rocketbook-wave shows different options and costs for this product idea. Is this a cost effective use of technology?
  • How can you see this being integrated into curriculum?
  • The developer says this is a perfect blend of "paper and pen" with cloud-based backups. Do you see this as a helpful thing for yourself or students?
  • Should schools look into this in terms of caretakers of our earth, sustainability, and resourcefulness?

2 comments:

  1. I am a 9th grade algebra teacher and I am super interested in this! Our school is going 1 to 1 on chrome books next year. I am hoping that there is a way to use the chrome book camera to do the same, but not sure if it will work. Some things I think would present challenges are:
    1. Expense!
    2. Do you need a cellphone or can a computer do it to?!
    3. What happens if kids don't have microwaves at home? Can you do more than 1 notebook at a time?!
    I would love to hear some other peoples thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Yes, it is an added expense but the company is currently working on a notebook that last "forever" in about the same $30 range. I'm interested to see it! I know some friends that have written a grant for a classroom set.

    You do need some form of camera to use this, a phone or iPad would probably work best.

    It's definitely not a perfected form of technology input but how exciting that paper and the value of writing is being recognized as an important part of the future of cloud-based technology input. I can't wait to see what happens next in this company. The low cost point is encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete